Call for Proposals
New York City's Seventh Annual Peer Specialist Conference
At New York University's Kimmel Center
On Thursday, July 18, 2013
The Peer Specialist Conference Planning Committee is currently seeking workshop proposals for New York City’s Seventh Annual Peer Specialist Conference which will be held at New York University's Kimmel Center on Thursday, July 18, 2013.
This conference will focus on evolving opportunities for peer specialists in the new healthcare landscape. It is intended specifically for New York City peers working in the behavioral health sector who wish to enhance unique skills, obtain new knowledge and information and stimulate critical dialogue and ideas about career development and the mental health field.
The audience for this conference will be New York City working peers, i.e., Peer Specialists, Peer Wellness Coaches, Peer Bridgers and more!! We encourage submissions from working peers who can provide insight on the future development of the role of peers in the workplace. All workshops are 75 minutes.
Workshop Tracks of Interest
We invite abstracts that reflect innovative national, state and local programs, practices, and initiatives that support the future development of the peer workforce.
Suggested Tracks Include:
- Medicaid Redesign
- Health Homes
- Special Needs Plans
- Expanding the role of Peers
- Economic Self-Sufficiency
- Benefits Planning
- Funding Sources & Fundraising
- New Grant Writing Techniques
- Using Social Media
- Forensic Services
- Hospital Diversion Respite Centers
- Family Peer Advocacy
- Youth Peer Advocacy
- Supervisory Roles
- Leadership Development
- Education & Credentialing
Culture & Diversity
- Older Adults
- Transition-Aged Youth
New & Innovative Recovery Practices
- Community Integration
- Trauma-Informed Care
- Health and Wellness
- Creativity & Alternative Approaches
- Recovery Centers
- Parents with Psychiatric Disabilities
- Youth Initiatives
- Peer Advocacy & Mutual Support
- Hospital Diversion Respite Centers
- Human Rights Initiatives
- New Employment Opportunities for Peers
- Research and Developments in the Peer Workforce
- Civic Engagement & Social/Political Activism
- SAMHSA Eight Wellness Dimensions
- Suicide Prevention, Assessment & Interventions
Abstracts will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Consistency and relevance to the theme of the conference
- Originality and innovation
- Clarity in description of subject matter
- Broad implications across peer workforce experience
- Qualifications and experience on subject matter
- Clear learning objectives
Abstracts must be submitted by e-mail, fax, or mail to:
The New York State Office of Mental Health
330 Fifth Ave., 9th floor
New York, N.Y. 10001
Attn: Carmelita Thompson
Workshop proposals must be e-mailed, faxed or postmarked no later than close of business on Thursday, January 31, 2013.
NOTE: Please use the 2013 Workshop Proposal Submission Form below and fill it out completely, as missing information will delay consideration of your proposal. You will be notified about the acceptance of your proposal by letter in early March, 2013.
Peer Specialist Conference Planning Committee: The New York State Office of Mental Health, Bureau of Recipient Affairs; The New York City Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene, Office of Consumer Affairs; F.E.G.S. Health and Human Services System; The Empowerment Center; Services for the UnderServed, Inc., Project PREPARE Peer Specialist Training Program; Baltic Street AEH, Inc., Resource and Wellness Center; New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, Kings County Hospital, Wellness, Recovery and Community Integration; New York Association of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services (NYAPRS); The Coalition of Behavioral Health Agencies, Center for Rehabilitation and Recovery; Academy of Peer Services - Dept. of Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Counseling Professions, University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ; and YOUTH POWER!
This conference promises to be an exciting and purposeful event and your contributions are appreciated! Thank you very much for the great work you all do.
2013 NYC Peer Specialist Conference
Workshop Proposal Submission Form
Deadline to submit submission form is
Tuesday, January 31, 2013
by close of business day.
Please fill in the boxes
1) Workshop Title:
Presenter is a (please check one): ___Peer ___Non-Peer
City: State: Zip Code:
Phone Number: Cell Phone: Email Address:
Co-presenter is a (please check one): ___Peer ___Non-Peer
2) Provide up to 250 words describing the proposed workshop, particularly specific learning objectives for attendees. Please include Title, Description and a minimum of three CLEAR Learning Objectives which should be stated as skills. For example, it is preferable to say: “Participants will be able to communicate effectively with homeless persons.”
3) Have you presented this or similar workshops before? If so, please explain.
4) Biography: Provide a brief description of speaker(s) background and/or qualifications.
5) Presentation Aids Required (check only what is needed)
__ LCD projector
__ Overhead projector
__ TV monitor, DVD/VHS
__ Will handouts be available? ___ yes ___ no
__ Other (please explain):
My signature below acknowledges that I understand if my proposal is accepted I am required to submit any necessary handouts, biographical information, audiovisual requests, and other required information by the deadlines established by the planning committee.
Primary Presenter's Signature Date