Dear New York Non-Profits,
As New York recovers from Hurricane Sandy, nonprofits are mobilizing to assist in immediate recovery efforts and to coordinate long-term strategies to help people rebuild. HSC is working with government, our members, and others to compile information that is helpful to the sector. Below are ways to find out how you can help and valuable resources for your organization as you participate in relief efforts.
- To find out where you can volunteer in New York City, go to: http://www.nycservice.org/#s or http://www.dogoodrighthere.org/blog/tue-10302012-325pm/volunteer-help-after-storm
- JCRC will be sending out its Uplink newsletter with listings of community volunteer needs due to the storm. You can submit requests and updates to firstname.lastname@example.org and can view the newsletter here - www.communityuplink.net
- For Legal information about disaster relief, visit the Lawyers Alliance for New York www.lawyersalliance.org/disaster_relief.php
- HSC is working with the Governor's Office to assess the impact of the storm on the nonprofit sector's ability to provide services. Responses are needed ASAP. Please follow the link to complete the survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RZBLGSF. Please forward this survey on to your members, colleagues, etc. The more responses we can get the better.
- If you would like to donate to those most affected by Hurricane Sandy please consider visiting UWSandyRecovery.org to donate to the United Way Regional Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund. You can also use your phone to text RECOVERY to 52000 to make a $10 donation.
- The CDP Hurricane Sandy Disaster Fund is operating a website for donors who would like to know who is doing effective work on the ground. Learn more and contribute today at http://tinyurl.com/CDP-Sandy-Fund
- If you or someone you know is in need of food, water or other emergency assistance, please call 1-718-875-1517.