NYAPRS Note: The following comes from the National Council for Behavioral Health.
Selected organizations can receive support in implementing InSHAPE®, a wellness program designed to improve
the physical health of people with serious mental illness, and participate in a research study to advance
understanding of how to implement such programs.
Half of the participating mental health organizations will receive training and individual technical assistance for 18 months, and half will receive training and implementation support by participating in a learning collaborative for 18 months. Eligible organizations include mental health provider organizations that could be ready to implement InSHAPE® by January 2017.
Overview of the InSHAPE® Program
(1) An individualized fitness and healthy lifestyle assessment;
(2) Weekly one-on-one meetings with a "Health Mentor," a certified fitness trainer who assists in developing a
fitness plan consisting of wellness goals and behaviorally specific healthy eating and exercise objectives;
(3) Membership in a local fitness facility (e.g., YMCA, dance-studio, exercise center);
(4) Nutrition education and opportunities to participate in healthy eating activities;
(5) Triannual motivational "celebrations"
For additional information about the InSHAPE® program,
Benefits to Participating Organizations
The mental health organizations selected to participate will receive (at no cost):
- Training in the InSHAPE® Program (a 4-day training);
- Personal trainer certification reimbursement for one designated Health Mentor at a local or online AFAA,
- NASM, ACE, or ACSM chapter;
- Implementation support through ongoing bi-weekly Health Mentor supervision, as well as either
- expert technical assistance OR a monthly virtual learning collaborative;
- An iPad to assist the Health Mentor in tracking participant progress and program outcomes;
- A $2,500 annual stipend to offset costs associated with data collection for the study.
Instructions for Application
Direct additional questions to: Allison Kinney (Allison.R.Kinney@Dartmouth.edu), (603) 443-3947
Please complete the application in its entirety and return by 5 p.m. ET on Friday, June 24th to: Allison
Kinney, Program Manager at Dartmouth, Allison.R.Kinney@Dartmouth.edu