NYAPRS Note: Recovery and rights advocates are preparing to come Washington next Monday from across the eastern seaboard and other locations across our nation to participate in our 2nd Annual Dignity Day, a day that corresponds with World Mental Health and Columbus Days. Someday, we will look back on these marches and rallies as the tipping point when our community and our countless allies across society stood together offer dignity to all and to make it no longer possible for the policies of defamation, discrimination, prejudice, segregation and marginalization to go unanswered.
This year, NYAPRS is helping New York to make a powerful contribution by sending 200 champions in 4 buses to represent this cause next Monday.
See below for the times buses are leaving from Long Island to Dignity Day.
Also, please support a recovery champion to attend this historic event by donating at https://rms.nyaprs.org/event/?page=CiviCRM&q=civicrm/contribute/transact&reset=1&id=4
October 10 is World Mental Health Day! History Will Be Made in Washington D.C. [Destination Dignity 2016][http://thingstodo.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Washington-Monument.jpg] Now is the time for us to stand up against the indignity and injustice people with mental health conditions face. We have remained silent for far too long. Get on the Bus!
* We die 25 years younger than the general population
* 75% of us say that we face discrimination at least once per month
* We are at least 3 times more likely to be the victims of violence than the perpetrators
* 6 out of 10 employers say that they would not hire someone with a mental health condition
* We are 3 to 7 times more likely to experience domestic violence than the general population
* We face false arrest and convictions at far greater rates, especially if we are persons of color
* 58% of fatal police shootings involve a person with a mental health condition GET ON THE BUS. Contact Julie Burroughs Erdman at (516) 313-9583 or Jeff McQueen at (516) 489-0100 ext. 1202 to reserve a seat today! Donate or Sponsor-a-Seat for $50, payable to New York Association for Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services (NYAPRS) 5:00 AM... Bus Departs 1380 Roanoke Ave, Riverhead; MHAW Synergy Center, OR 1-NY-109, West Babylon; Federation PROS 5:30 AM... Bus Departs 939 Johnson Ave, Ronkonkoma; MHAW Pollack Center OR 16 Main St, Hempstead; MHANC