NYAPRS Note: The NYS Health Foundation has award $1.2 million to
- advance healthcare consumers’ interests by studying the state's certificate-of-need process and monitor health care consolidations, which can reduce competition and choice for consumers,
- analyzing the adequacy of the New York provider networks
- developing a consumer tool to estimate the out-of pocket costs that New Yorkers pay with different health plans
- documenting people's experiences requesting their medical records and
- helping women in New York City and on Long Island to make more informed decisions in choosing where to give birth
NYSHealth Awards Grants to Empower Health Care Consumers
Awards totaling more than $1.2 million will increase health care consumer choice, control, and convenience
October 18, 2016 (New York) – The New York State Health Foundation (NYSHealth) has selected five organizations for grant awards totaling more than $1.2 million to empower health care consumers and ensure they have the tools, resources, and support they need to make informed decisions about their health care.
“Too often in our health care system, patients are an afterthought, when they should be at the center and treated as its most important customer,” saidDavid Sandman, President and CEO of NYSHealth. “Consumers need and deserve more choice, control, and convenience to make educated decisions and understand their health care options, especially regarding how much they can expect to pay for their care.”
The selected grantees will undertake a range of projects and studies to increase consumers’ access to their own health information; provide new tools and resources that will inform consumer health care decision-making; and identify strategies that meaningfully engage consumers in determining the types of health care services available in their local communities.
For example, a grant to MergerWatch will support an in-depth review of New York’s Certificate of Need process and identify opportunities for consumer engagement and protection in this era of health care consolidation. NYSHealth’s grant to IMPAQ will create a user-friendly consumer tool that estimates out-of-pocket costs—by health plan —for specific high-cost, common conditions so that New Yorkers can make informed decisions when selecting a health plan that best fits their medical needs.
“These grants are a first step to change the current dynamic and amplify the voice of health care consumers in New York State,” saidSharrie McIntosh, Vice President for Programs of NYSHealth.
Projects were selected through a competitive request for proposals. The five organizations receiving NYSHealth grants are:
- MergerWatch “Empowering NY Consumers in an Era of Hospital Consolidation”
- IMPAQ “Health Insurance Marketplace Transparency Tool: Out-of-Pocket Costs for Specialty Conditions”
- Cynosure Health “Engaging Consumers Through Network Accessibility and Performance”
- National Partnership for Women and Families “GetMyHealthData: Creating Data Exemplars in New York”
- Northeast Business Group on Health “Safe Birth NY: Empowering Women to Use Hospital Quality Data When Deciding Where to Give Birth”
About the New York State Health Foundation
The New York State Health Foundation (NYSHealth) is a private, statewide foundation dedicated to improving the health of all New Yorkers, especially the most vulnerable. Today, NYSHealth concentrates its work in two strategic priority areas: building healthy communities and empowering health care consumers. The Foundation is committed to making grants, informing health policy and practice, spreading effective programs to improve the health care system and the health of New Yorkers, serving as a neutral convener of health leaders across the State, and providing technical assistance to its grantees and partners.