NYAPRS Note: SAMHSA is seeking to fill the post of Deputy Director for the Center for Mental Health Services. See more information at https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/455263500 or below.
Deputy Director, Center for Mental Health Services
SUBSTANCE ABUSE AND MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES ADMINISTRATION
1 vacancy in the following location:Rockville, MD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Senior Executive Service (SES)
Opened Friday 11/4/2016�(0 day(s) ago)
Closes Monday 12/5/2016 (31 day(s) away)
$123,175.00 to $185,100.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade
Who May Apply
All groups of qualified individuals
Job Announcement Number
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American. At the Department of Health and Human Services you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer and better for all Americans.
This position is that of Deputy Director, Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS), located in the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). As Deputy Director of the Center, the incumbent is chief advisor to the Director in all areas related to the Center's programs and management.
CMHS is comprised of three line Divisions and two staff components and is responsible for providing national focus for the prevention, treatment and recovery for persons with mental illness and the improvement of systems of care for adults with serious mental illness and for children with serious emotional disturbances.
To accomplish this, the Center
1) supports services and demonstration programs designed to improve access to care and improve the quality of treatment, recovery, prevention and related services, especially for those traditionally not served, under-served or inappropriately-served;
2) identifies national mental health goals and develops strategies to meet them;
3) designs and supports evaluations, assessments and services research activities in order to assists states, communities, providers, individuals and families;
4) supports activities to improve the administration, organization and financing of mental health care;
5) supports technical assistance activities to educate professionals, consumers, family members and communities, and services;
6) administers the Mental Health Services Block Grant program and other programs providing direct assistance to States;
7) collects, synthesizes and disseminates mental health information and research finding to States, other governmental and mental health-related organizations, and the general public;
8) carries out administrative and financial management, policy development, planning and evaluation and public information functions which are required to implement mental health services programs for a budget in excess of $800 million;
9) collaborates with other Federal agencies and departments, State and sub-state units of Government, and the private sector to improve the system of treatment and social welfare support for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances;
10) conducts activities to promote advocacy, self-help and mutual support, and to ensure the legal rights of persons with mental illness including those in jail and prisons.
In conjunction with the Director, CMHS, the incumbent oversees the formulation and development of CMHS policies, objectives, and strategic goals to ensure a comprehensive and integrated program. As a member of the Center’s top management team, collaborates with the Director to establish and articulate CMHS policy, strategic organizational priorities, and operating principles.
�Program Planning, Management, and Evaluation
Along with the Director, provides executive leadership and direction in the coordination and execution of program functions oriented to mental health activities. Working closely with the Director, the incumbent determines the programs or major efforts that should be initiated, accelerated, or curtailed, and the timing of such actions; and the proportion of total resources to devote to particular projects of major scope and cost. Administers CMHS programs by providing leadership and direction to the Center's organizational segments, including the Divisions and Offices, and facilitates necessary coordination, integration and linkages, as appropriate. Serves as Acting Director in the absence of the Director, CMHS, and during such circumstances has full authority for the operation of the Center and full authority to make all decisions and commitments for the Director.
Incumbent represents the Director, CMHS, in SAMHSA/HHS executive staff meetings and has authority to commit CMHS to a course of action. Chairs or serves as an active member of various intra-agency and HHS standing and ad hoc committees.
Coordinates and integrates activities of the Office of the Director, CMHS, with other Offices and program officials of CMHS, SAMHSA, DHHS, other Federal agencies, various national and international agencies, private foundations and professional lay organizations.
Provides guidance on the formulation of budget requests, reviews justifications of the CMHS programs, and participates with the Center Director in the presentation of the budget and program information to SAMHSA, DHHS, the Office of Management and Budget and the Congress.
In conjunction with the Director, CMHS, actively develops and maintains intra-agency and interagency liaison, cooperation and working relationships with key experts and professional organizations in the health treatment fields, and with State and local officials.
Represents CMHS, and as necessary SAMHSA, before professional conventions and forums, conferences sponsored by private or governmental bodies, and various congressional committees on substantive program issues as a spokesperson with respect to CMHS programs. Prepares and delivers explanations in support of CMHS programs and budgets to HHS committees and the Office of Management and Budget.
Through subordinate managers and supervisors, oversees and directs a staff of professional, technical, and support personnel. Performs related supervisory and managerial duties, including organization of work groups, determination and adjustment of program goals, policies, objectives, and procedures, and resolution of policy and technical issues referred by subordinate managers for executive-level attention. Develops and applies creative workforce management policies and programs that positively influence the ability of staff members to deliver high quality products and services.
Determines the need for and participates with the Center Director in the selection of key professional staff necessary for administration of CMHS programs.�
- Occasional Travel
- As needed
- May be authorized