NYAPRS Note: NYAPRS 20th Annual Legislative Day in only 6 days away! Once again, upwards of 700 self and system advocates will join forces to raise their voices next Tuesday to advance this year’s advocacy priorities relating to housing, criminal justice, workforce and advancement of voluntary outreach and support initiatives for people and families in crisis.
See below and attached for an updated schedule for our February 28th Annual Albany Legislative program, which will begin at 9:30 at the Hart Auditorium at the Egg, which will include presentations on our issues, featured speakers and award celebrations, a ‘Housing is Health’ news conference and a Capital March.
Buses are scheduled to leave from Elmira/Binghamton, Buffalo, Rochester/Syracuse, Westport, Newburgh, White Plains, Suffolk and Nassau counties and New York City and via cars and vans from across the state.
Don’t miss this powerful experience to raise our voices and show our faces to state legislators and the media!
For more details about the buses, contact NYAPRS Deputy Director Tanya Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you next Tuesday!
||NYAPRS 20th Annual Legislative Day Program
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Hart Auditorium at The Egg, Albany, NY
9:30 am Breakfast, Check-In; Hart Auditorium, The Egg
10:00 am Welcome: NYAPRS Co-Presidents Brian Hollander, Sue Parinello
00:00 am Welcome: Public Policy Co-Chairs: Brian Hollander, Carla Rabinowitz
10:05 am NYAPRS 2016-17 State Public Policy Priorities
Invest in Statewide Housing Rate Adjustment for OMH Housing Programs
- Sue Parinello, ADD; Doug Cooper, Association for Community Living
Urge the Governor and the Legislature to Sign the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to Fully Fund the NY/NY IV Supportive Housing Agreement
- Carla Rabinowitz, Community Access
Support Criminal Justice Initiatives
- Crisis Intervention Teams Carla Rabinowitz, Community Access; Wendy Burch, Matthew Shapiro, NAMI-NYS
- HALT the torture of Solitary Confinement: Jennifer Parrish, Mental Health Alternatives to Solitary Confinement; Rafiq Salim-Mental Health Peer Connection
- Raise the Age of Criminal Liability to 18: Paige Pierce, Families Together
Fully Fund Nonprofits for The True Cost of Providing Essential Community Services and to Adequately Compensate and Retain a Quality Workforce
- Glenn Liebman, Mental Health Association of NYS
Fund Intensive Voluntary Outreach and Treatment Innovations; Oppose Expansion and Permanence of Kendra’s Law
- Harvey Rosenthal, NYAPRS
11:05 am Featured Speakers
- Paul Francis, NYS Deputy Secretary for Health and Human Services
- Senator Rob Ortt: Chair, Senate Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Committee
- Assemblywoman Aileen Gunther, Chair, Assembly Mental Health Committee
- Assemblyman Jeffrion Aubrey, NYS Assembly Speaker Pro Tempore
- Dr. Ann Sullivan, Commissioner, NYS Office of Mental Health (invited)
11: 20 am NYAPRS Annual Awards
Public Policy Leadership Awards
- Senator Rob Ortt
- Assemblywoman Aileen Gunther
- Assemblyman Jeffrion Aubrey
11:40 am Role Play of Legislative Advocacy Meetings with Michael Friedman
12:00 pm Lunch
12:30 pm ‘Housing is Health’ News Conference
12:30 pm CapitalMarch
1:30 pm Meet with State Legislators
4:00 pm Re-group at Buses, Return Home