NYAPRS Note: NYAPRS has long advocated for New York State to offer self direction to people with psychiatric disabilities since we regard this as a fundamentally transformational approach that affords eligible individuals with the capability to purchase approved items and services that advance their recovery. The Office of Mental Health has approved 2 pilot programs to test whether self direction should be included in the menu of Home and Community Based Services in NY, one in New York City with Community Access and the other upstate one with Independent Living in Newburgh. Here’s the kick-off announcement from Community Access.
Community Access is proud to announce a new innovative approach to providing support: Self Direction: Resources for Wellness.
Self Direction is designed to empower financial decision-making and promote the recovery of people living with mental health concerns. Through Self Direction, individuals work with Resource Consultants to set personal wellness goals and receive funds to budget for selected goods and services that support individualized recovery.
In other states, individuals have used Self Direction to access goods and supports such as:
- Hiring personal on-call peer support to utilize during crisis
- Obtaining alternative treatment methods, such as acupuncture for pain
- Improving physical health through purchasing a gym membership, gym clothes, or nutritional counseling
Enrollment is very limited because we are a pilot program. Get in touch with us to:
- Host an information session in your program
- Attend an Info Session at 2 Washington Street on Monday April 2, at 2 p.m.
- Recommend Self Direction to a participant
Program Manager, Self Direction